PDA

View Full Version : undo & redo

Michael
2006-03-28, 01:48 PM
Hello,

an UNDO function working for a large number (customizable) of previous steps would be very helpful. The command could be "ctr+Z" as in the most common Windows applications.

I think this function should always be available, for text(edit mode) and quotations, or whatever were our last steps.

I say this well knowing that we already have e.g. the discarding option, which is very useful.

Best Regards
Michael

rjbhutton
2006-06-27, 02:12 PM
Hello,

an UNDO function working for a large number (customizable) of previous steps would be very helpful. The command could be "ctr+Z" as in the most common Windows applications.

I think this function should always be available, for text(edit mode) and quotations, or whatever were our last steps.

I say this well knowing that we already have e.g. the discarding option, which is very useful.

Best Regards
Michael
Michael:
I am a new ATLAS user and have just started coding some transcripts. One of my frustrations is that I sometimes make a mistake (like deleting a "code" for one quotation, which then deletes the whole code back through the whole transcript). Is there a way to "undo" that mistake?

The only solution that I have found is to go back to all the quotes that no longer have a code and add the code again. Very frustrating!

While I am asking questions, I hope you don;t mind if I ask another one (or two!).
1) once a quotation has been selected and coded, is it possible to extend the quotation without losing the code or changing anything else. For example, I have been selecting two or three words and adding the code. But then I realized that I should have selected the whole line of text, not just three words... can I go back and change the size of the quote?
2) Is it possible, having identified a code, like "goal", to then make a more refined code like "implicit goal" and "explicit goal" from all those quotes that I had previously identified as "goal"?

Sorry to impose on you like this... but I searched on the keyword "undo" and yours was the first thread I found!! : )

cheers

Rob Hutton
Wright State University
Dayton, OHIO, USA

CD Cook
2006-06-29, 12:23 PM
HI Rob. The only way I know to undo code deletion is to close your project and take the option to discard changes made. Means you will have to redo any work since your last save.
But notice that when you right click and select deletion for what you thought was a quotation but is acually a code, Atlas will double check that with you. Anytime I am asked for a double check I make myself stop and read it just to be sure I am doing what I thought.

To change the length of the quotation, highlight it, reselect whatever text you want and clcik the checkmark icon on the toolbar on your left.

If you are a new user, I would really recommend making a very small test project and going through the manual. Both of the topics you asked about, as well as a great many more that will probably be very hlepful for you, are in it and it is a quick process to run through it, trying everything out.

Good Luck
Cheryl

Gerben Moerman
2006-07-20, 09:39 AM
Hi,
i use versions of my Hu's to save myself from silly mistakes by deleting stuff i do not want to be deleted. So everytime I save a HU, I save it with a new number, e.g.:
Hu001.hpr5
Hu002.hpr5 etcetera.
As a normal user that is also the only way to save HU's.

So how do I undo:
If I deleted code A accidently in Hu004, I can always go back to hu003, !MERGEIGNORE (see manual) all the codes I do not need and merge the hu003codea.hpr5 into hu004.hpr5.
You see, it is quite a route, but it is possible. Often however it is better to take Cheryl's suggestion and redo all the things you just did and simply save often. The autosave works fine, but never rely on it.
Best thing however, is not making silly mistakes;-)
Greetings,
Gerben