PDA

View Full Version : Some feature suggestions video/audio coding

OCB
2007-07-27, 12:35 AM
Hi, here are some feature suggestions for the video/audio coding/analysis:

- Code matrix presented two-dimensional time line view.

- Time line view of codes/quotations with multiple layers.
- Coding with the media control.
- Create relations between codes in this view.
- Play selected rows or all.
- Select codes/quotations to play.
- Play select codes/quotations in selected order.
- Hide rows.
- Zoom in out on time line.

- Transcription window/manager with four columns (start and end time of quotation, speaker, transcription and general/comment).
- Transcribe or import transcript.
- Transcription toolbar.
- Populate transcription to time line view.
- Code in time line view.
- Populate transcription window from time line view.

- Combine time lines.

Video Player Organizer Manager:
- select various selected/combinations of codes/quotations...to play.
- Save this play sequence and be able to assign a code to it.

Cheers
Ole

CD Cook
2007-07-27, 04:18 PM
While I think the powers that be may reject the notion to include in Atlas word processing or video editing sort of abilities, I do like these ideas, especially hte first and last ones!

astockdale
2007-07-27, 08:32 PM
Earlier this year, at the CAQDAS 07 Conference, 'Advances in Qualitative Computing', I made a pitch in my plenary talk for better tools to manage audio and video data in QDA software. Much of the software we use developed initially when the focus was strictly on text and hasn't really kept pace with advances in digital media. My gripe is that we shouldn't be forced to choose between video/audio and transcript but should have immediate access to the whole lot much as one has in programs like Transana and Transcriber. I think we'll see movement on this front. After my talk, someone from NVivo (can I mention them here?!) came up to me and promised that all this functionality would be in the next version. They have since posted some details on their website (see NSight newsletter from July 2007). I'm sure we'll see similar development in Atlas-ti.

OCB
2007-07-28, 02:05 AM
I would be very surprised if ATLAS.ti do not innovative further the video/audio (and bring it together with transcript)...when I read your post here above about Nvivo 8 I looked it up immediately. And yes, Nvivo 8, it looks by the marketing material (newsletter), they have taken a big step forward with video/audio. I was very surprised that Nvivo 7 didnt have new features for video and audio, but now in Nvivo 8 video, audio and transcripts are integrated.. I am really curious on Nvivo 8 now.

Past 4 years I have worked as educational researcher at two Universities where we bought ATLAS.ti, Nvivo and Studiocode. Now the faculty here at the second university are in the processes of selecting and buying. And Nvivo is aleady selected, StudioCode is almost selected, but ATLAS.ti have not been considered yet...

With regards to the few suggested features above, when I am coding 1-2 hour long videos of two students doing a learning task, I really wish I had a feature available to display/represent it temporally. Just a Code - Time Matrix as a start would be valuable.

I agree on the point that word processing have no place in ATLAS.ti. But there is no word processing in the suggestions. My suggestion with a Video Transcript Window, was as a tool that can import a transcription of a video and populate 4 columns in table rows: quotations, transcribed text, comment... And maybe vertically one table cell(row) can be mapped as quotation start and end. A small tool bar at top of the Video Transcript Window with some action buttons. Then also

In Nvivo 8 you can combine a transcript to the video so that a quotation for example in Video Transcript Window is linked to start and end marks on the video. As a start we don't need that, but a display would do, Rotate the Transcript Window 90 Degrees Left, then the horizontal cells where the quotations are becomes the time line. And if have time line for the multimedia control like in the example above with multiple levels, those two together would be a useful display. Its basically just a new organization (algorithm) and form of the data structure already present.

Cheers:)

Ole