PDA

View Full Version : Atlas.ti for MacOs X

nessie
2008-02-19, 04:57 AM
I've been a user of Atlas.ti since last year and have found it fantastically invaluable. I've been working off of a Windows operating system, but I will be in the field soon and so have bought a MacBook.

I didn't realise until now that Atlas can't be run on Macs! Say it ain't so! Yes, I have read the tech specs and realise that Atlas can be run via a parallel Windows system, but I REALLY don't want to do this. The reason I bought a Mac (and I'm sure this is the reason for many others as well) is that I don't want to run a Windows world. At all. Not even for Atlas.ti.

Please, please, come up with a Mac version!

Michael
2008-02-19, 11:54 AM
Agree, a native Apple version would be very interesting.
I myself would rapidly change to this Mac version.
On the other side I also know a large number of Mac users
which would be very interested in using Atlas.ti instead of
other known QDA software.

Best Regards
Michael

OCB
2008-02-20, 05:18 AM
Hi, I am running ATLAS.ti on my Mac OS X Core 2 Due Intel, just intsal Parallel Desktop and you can run ATLAS.ti on your mac with better performance than on a PC:
www.parallel.com

Ole

Michael
2008-02-20, 08:01 AM
Hello,

I'm happy to read positive things about parallel working.
It is very important for me, to can use Atlas.ti on MACs,
because I plan to go back to the MAC world soon.

And just because I appreciate very much the quality of
Apple's OS, I would like to switch as seldom as possible
between WIN and MAC.

In all areas of relevance for my work, I'm interested to
use the best software possible. All BEST OF applications
I use, offer MAC versions. Atlas.ti would be the only one,
which forces me to switch to the not that nice WIN OS.

The wish to can work as "MAC" as possible, lets me hope
for a native Atlas.ti version for Apple. And I know very well,
I'm not the only one who hopes!

Best Regards
Michael

Gerben Moerman
2008-02-20, 09:01 PM
I use bootcamp, and xp (with only a virus scanner and ATLAS.ti) on a macbook and it simply works great.

Gerben

astockdale
2008-02-25, 03:28 PM
As Ole suggests, try one of the virtualization packages such as Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox. If you create a WXP and Atlas-ti virtual machine using Fusion (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/) you'll be able to move the VM between Linux, WXP and OSX just by copying the files back and forth. To do this you'll also need to intall the free VMware Player on WXP (and Linux). As with Parallels, on OSX you should barely be able to tell that you are running WXP as a guest operating system. Desktop virtualization frees you from old operating system restrictions on what applications you could and couldn't run. All the newer CPUs are designed to support virtualization. Just feed your CPU lots of memory.

Gerben Moerman
2008-03-03, 08:58 PM
Thanks Alan,
i have been using VMware fusion the last week and it works great!
Warm greeting,
Gerben

astockdale
2008-12-01, 02:23 PM
The 50% off deal is good for December 1, 2008 only.

VMware Fusion Cyber Monday - Parallels Switch to Fusion (http://www.mikedipetrillo.com/mikedvirtualization/2008/11/vmware-fusion-cyber-monday---parallels-switch-to-fusion.html)

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better - VMware is offering Fusion 2.0 for 50% off. Just go here (http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/fusion_windowsonmac_1day.html?src=EM_08Q4_VMW_OTHE R_FUSION-CYBERMONDAY08&ossrc=EM_08Q4_VMW_OTHER_FUSION-CYBERMONDAY08) and use the code "CyberMondayDeal". For agitated Parallels users you can even use the $30 competitive rebate (http://www.vmware.com/landing_pages/fusion_rebate.html) and combined with the deal above you can get Fusion for $9.99. Yes, $10 to switch to VMware.

ozdazza
2008-12-29, 02:40 PM
Hi Folks! :)

I absolutely agree that a NATIVE OSX version of Atlas.ti is really needed. I switched from Microsoft to Apple last year and there is no way I am going back to Microsoft. I found I was spending way too much time trying to fix Windows instead of simply concentrating on my work. Apple works straight out of the box, I and I have yet to come across any problems. The only problems occur when I try to use Windows virtually with Parallels or VM Fusion ... the Windows problems pop all over again! Please! Please! Please! Please! count me in for a vote for a native OSX version of Atlas.ti. With all the switchers amongst only the researchers I know, there will be a rush to get Atlas.ti. There is a chance to be the leader in QDA! :)

Darren McDonald
Tokyo