research for instance I'm autocoding interviewer and respondent =
    utterances, every time I add a new interview I have to do this =
    autocoding again. So here is my wish for the wishlist, isn't there a =
    possibility to record or log previous autocodings and when a new pd is =
    added you could select a button "update autocodings" and ATLAS.ti =
    searches through these documents for the autocodes. It would be great =
    when a script or syntax could be used for this, so when you have some =
    new HU you could just copy and paste these scripts. Get a coffee and =
    come back to see that all your autocodings have been done.

The second critical remark he made was the problem he had importing html =
    docs. He got really annoyed by three times coping information into a new =
    pd:
    Text, access date and web address
    He did not even mentioned the images on the website, but that is even =
    harder to do (I managed once to get a webpage completely visible in =
    ATLAS.ti, but can't really remember how I did it, I think I copied it to =
    RTF). So while brainstorming we thought of some button in explorer, or =
    maybe better firefox with which one can "print to ATLAS.ti PD". Through =
    this function you copy the complete webpage including text, images, =
    access date and address into a new pd. That shouldn't be to hard I =
    imagined, but I don't know whether anyone else thinks this is a good =
    idea or maybe someone already managed this.

Greetings,
    Gerben

Drs. Gerben Moerman
    Department of Social Research Methodology
    Faculty of Social Sciences
    Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

Gerben Moerman

Two for the wishlist

Hi Jeanine,
    I thought that Quessy.ti is for online (or offline) databases, not for web addresses, I tried it once, but did not understand much of it. But thanks for your answer!

Warm Greetings,
    Gerben

-----Original Message-----
    From: ATLAS.ti The Knowledge Workbench - User Forum [mailto:ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE]On Behalf Of j.c.evers
    Sent: donderdag 13 oktober 2005 9:55
    To: ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE
    Subject: Re: Two for the wishlist

Isn't the second question something to be done by quessy ti or am i missing
    the point here
    cheers
    jeanine

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
    Van: ATLAS.ti The Knowledge Workbench - User Forum
    [mailto:ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE] Namens Gerben Moerman
    Verzonden: donderdag 13 oktober 2005 9:11
    Aan: ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE
    Onderwerp: Two for the wishlist

Dear all and especially dear developers,
    Last week I had a discussion with one of my colleagues, Pepijn van de Port.
    He is an anthropologists and he had used ATLAS.ti for research on newspaper
    coverage of corruption in Indonesia. What he did was, he copied information
    from Indonesian newspapers (some online) into atlas.ti and code them. He
    autocoded names and some keywords and there the problem started. Because he
    did this while collecting new data he got really fed up and annoyed by every
    time he added 30 new short articles to autocode them. I agree with him that
    this is annoying. In my research for instance I'm autocoding interviewer and
    respondent utterances, every time I add a new interview I have to do this
    autocoding again. So here is my wish for the wishlist, isn't there a
    possibility to record or log previous autocodings and when a new pd is added
    you could select a button "update autocodings" and ATLAS.ti searches through
    these documents for the autocodes. It would be great when a script or syntax
    could be used for this, so when you have some new HU you could just copy and
    paste these scripts. Get a coffee and come back to see that all your
    autocodings have been done.

The second critical remark he made was the problem he had importing html
    docs. He got really annoyed by three times coping information into a new pd:
    Text, access date and web address
    He did not even mentioned the images on the website, but that is even harder
    to do (I managed once to get a webpage completely visible in ATLAS.ti, but
    can't really remember how I did it, I think I copied it to RTF). So while
    brainstorming we thought of some button in explorer, or maybe better firefox
    with which one can "print to ATLAS.ti PD". Through this function you copy
    the complete webpage including text, images, access date and address into a
    new pd. That shouldn't be to hard I imagined, but I don't know whether
    anyone else thinks this is a good idea or maybe someone already managed
    this.

Greetings,
    Gerben

Drs. Gerben Moerman
    Department of Social Research Methodology
    Faculty of Social Sciences
    Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

For changing your ATLAS-TI list subscription visit
    http://www.atlasti.com/maillist.shtml

Thomas Muhr

Two for the wishlist

Dear Gerben,
    wish no. 1 seems to be something like establishing
    a) an entity "autocoding task" with parameters: the code, the query, and the "spread",
    b) an "autocoding agent" using one or more such coding tasks and process them on demand.
    Makes sense and does not pose too much effort initially. However, one problem is persistence: where should such agents and tasks be stored and for how long? Only during the current session? Across sessions and if yes, should it become part of the HU or be generally be accessible by the user for any HU?

Wish no. 2 looks easy but is not. HTML is converted to RTF when displaying it in ATLAS.ti. However, although named "rich" text it is quite a bit from what the original document displays. What would be needed is not Rich Edit but a full blown DHTML window (the one used by IE) to render HTML and XML correctly. We are looking into it but already know it is quite a thing to do ...
    So much for the looks. I have not understood fuully what you mean by including the access date and address ...

Regards
    - Thomas

At 09:10 13.10.2005, you wrote:
    >Dear all and especially dear developers,
    >Last week I had a discussion with one of my colleagues, Pepijn van de Port. He is an anthropologists and he had used ATLAS.ti for research on newspaper coverage of corruption in Indonesia. What he did was, he copied information from Indonesian newspapers (some online) into atlas.ti and code them. He autocoded names and some keywords and there the problem started. Because he did this while collecting new data he got really fed up and annoyed by every time he added 30 new short articles to autocode them. I agree with him that this is annoying. In my research for instance I'm autocoding interviewer and respondent utterances, every time I add a new interview I have to do this autocoding again. So here is my wish for the wishlist, isn't there a possibility to record or log previous autocodings and when a new pd is added you could select a button "update autocodings" and ATLAS.ti searches through these documents for the autocodes. It would be great when a script or syntax could be used for this, so when you have some new HU you could just copy and paste these scripts. Get a coffee and come back to see that all your autocodings have been done.
    >
    >The second critical remark he made was the problem he had importing html docs. He got really annoyed by three times coping information into a new pd:
    >Text, access date and web address
    >He did not even mentioned the images on the website, but that is even harder to do (I managed once to get a webpage completely visible in ATLAS.ti, but can't really remember how I did it, I think I copied it to RTF). So while brainstorming we thought of some button in explorer, or maybe better firefox with which one can "print to ATLAS.ti PD". Through this function you copy the complete webpage including text, images, access date and address into a new pd. That shouldn't be to hard I imagined, but I don't know whether anyone else thinks this is a good idea or maybe someone already managed this.
    >
    >Greetings,
    >Gerben
    >
    >
    >
    >Drs. Gerben Moerman
    >Department of Social Research Methodology
    >Faculty of Social Sciences
    >Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
    >
    >
    >
    >

__________________________________________________ _____________________
    „Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle for the transformation
    of tradition“ (Winograd & Flores, 1987)
    ATLAS.ti Scientific Software Development GmbH - Berlin - www.atlasti.com

Thomas Muhr

Two for the wishlist

QUESSY.ti is a client-server .NET based technology to exploit qualitative data contained or managed through database systems like Oracle, MySQL, ACCESS, etc. Legacy databases contain a vast amount of data that can be used with ATLAS.ti.
    QUESSY.ti serves a) as a unified and powerful query engine for a variety of data base systems and b) as a data provider for ATLAS.ti. You can look at it as the enterprise version of assigning documents. When extracting data from a database it also imports meta-data from other data base fields as PD families.
    The standard assignment of PDs is a bit uninformed in comparison: you are simply navigating through your local or networked file system searching and clicking for relevant files by their file name. Of course, a database query can do much more than that.

For more infos, documentation and hands-on experience try this:
    http://www.quessy.atlasti.com/

Regards
    - Thomas
    PS: QUESSY.ti client functionality is fully available only in standard licenses and multi-user licenses

At 10:27 13.10.2005, you wrote:
    >You might be right there, haven't had the time yet to properly introduce
    >myself to quessy.ti thomas, could you enlighten us here?
    >Thanks
    >jeanine
    >
    >-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
    >Van: ATLAS.ti The Knowledge Workbench - User Forum
    >[mailto:ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE] Namens Gerben Moerman
    >Verzonden: donderdag 13 oktober 2005 10:22
    >Aan: ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE
    >Onderwerp: Re: Two for the wishlist
    >
    >Hi Jeanine,
    >I thought that Quessy.ti is for online (or offline) databases, not for web
    >addresses, I tried it once, but did not understand much of it. But thanks
    >for your answer!
    >
    >Warm Greetings,
    >Gerben
    >
    >-----Original Message-----
    >From: ATLAS.ti The Knowledge Workbench - User Forum
    >[mailto:ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE]On Behalf Of j.c.evers
    >Sent: donderdag 13 oktober 2005 9:55
    >To: ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE
    >Subject: Re: Two for the wishlist
    >
    >Isn't the second question something to be done by quessy ti or am i missing
    >the point here
    >cheers
    >jeanine
    >
    >-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
    >Van: ATLAS.ti The Knowledge Workbench - User Forum
    >[mailto:ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE] Namens Gerben Moerman
    >Verzonden: donderdag 13 oktober 2005 9:11
    >Aan: ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE
    >Onderwerp: Two for the wishlist
    >
    >Last week I had a discussion with one of my colleagues, Pepijn van de Port.
    >He is an anthropologists and he had used ATLAS.ti for research on newspaper
    >coverage of corruption in Indonesia. What he did was, he copied information
    >from Indonesian newspapers (some online) into atlas.ti and code them. He
    >autocoded names and some keywords and there the problem started. Because he
    >did this while collecting new data he got really fed up and annoyed by every
    >time he added 30 new short articles to autocode them. I agree with him that
    >this is annoying. In my research for instance I'm autocoding interviewer and
    >respondent utterances, every time I add a new interview I have to do this
    >autocoding again. So here is my wish for the wishlist, isn't there a
    >possibility to record or log previous autocodings and when a new pd is added
    >you could select a button "update autocodings" and ATLAS.ti searches through
    >these documents for the autocodes. It would be great when a script or syntax
    >could be used for this, so when you have some new HU you could just copy and
    >paste these scripts. Get a coffee and come back to see that all your
    >autocodings have been done.
    >
    >The second critical remark he made was the problem he had importing html
    >docs. He got really annoyed by three times coping information into a new pd:
    >He did not even mentioned the images on the website, but that is even harder
    >to do (I managed once to get a webpage completely visible in ATLAS.ti, but
    >can't really remember how I did it, I think I copied it to RTF). So while
    >brainstorming we thought of some button in explorer, or maybe better firefox
    >with which one can "print to ATLAS.ti PD". Through this function you copy
    >the complete webpage including text, images, access date and address into a
    >new pd. That shouldn't be to hard I imagined, but I don't know whether
    >anyone else thinks this is a good idea or maybe someone already managed
    >this.
    >
    >Greetings,
    >Gerben
    >
    >
    >
    >Drs. Gerben Moerman
    >
    >
    >
    >For changing your ATLAS-TI list subscription visit
    >http://www.atlasti.com/maillist.shtml
    >
    >
    >
    >

__________________________________________________ _____________________
    „Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle for the transformation
    of tradition“ (Winograd & Flores, 1987)
    ATLAS.ti Scientific Software Development GmbH - Berlin - www.atlasti.com

Gerben Moerman VU

Two for the wishlist

Dear Thomas,
    thank you for your superb reply!! Thank you for letting us think with you. If I may suggest, I think
    that the best option for B is to make the autocoding agent into a separate file, just like the file for
    the search swarms but connected to a HU and automatically loaded every time the HU is opened. If
    it is in a separate file users could easily script new autocoding tasks and use them in another HU.
    It should however be copied in the copy bundle function.

While writing this I think that if the agent is store in a memo it would be great also. Users could
    just cut and paste them into another HU. They wouldn’t be that big and in some way it is some
    sort of memo, isn’t it? Just like the import coding function. If it is stored in a memo, we could even
    use several agents. Wow that would really be great!

I imagined that it is quite difficult to create rtf’s from html. Even my safari browser on OS X
    sometimes has difficulties with loading not 100% (or Internet explorer based) html. That’s why I
    suggested some sort of printing mode. By the way, if pdf’s are supported, that would be ok as
    well, of course, just get a free pdf creator and load the pdf’s as PD’s.
    What I meant with copying the web address and access date in is simply making citing easier. So if
    the address of the html file and the date of access is shown in some way (family, code, or text
    (that could be easily coded through specials characters: eg @http://www.atlasti.de/@ &13-10
    -2005&)).

Keep up the great work!!
    Greetings,
    Gerben

-----Original Message-----
    From: ATLAS.ti The Knowledge Workbench - User Forum on behalf of Thomas Muhr
    Sent: Thu 13-10-2005 15:34
    To: ATLAS-TI@LISTSERV.DFN.DE
    Cc:
    <subject> Re: Two for the wishlist</subject>

Dear Gerben,
    wish no. 1 seems to be something like establishing
    a) an entity "autocoding task" with parameters: the code, the query, and the "spread",
    b) an "autocoding agent" using one or more such coding tasks and process them on demand.
    Makes sense and does not pose too much effort initially. However, one problem is persistence:
    where should such agents and tasks be stored and for how long? Only during the current session?
    Across sessions and if yes, should it become part of the HU or be generally be accessible by the
    user for any HU?

Wish no. 2 looks easy but is not. HTML is converted to RTF when displaying it in ATLAS.ti.
    However, although named "rich" text it is quite a bit from what the original document displays.
    What would be needed is not Rich Edit but a full blown DHTML window (the one used by IE) to
    render HTML and XML correctly. We are looking into it but already know it is quite a thing to do ...
    So much for the looks. I have not understood fuully what you mean by including the access date
    and address ...

Regards
    - Thomas

At 09:10 13.10.2005, you wrote:
    >Last week I had a discussion with one of my colleagues, Pepijn van de Port. He is an
    anthropologists and he had used ATLAS.ti for research on newspaper coverage of corruption in
    Indonesia. What he did was, he copied information from Indonesian newspapers (some online) into
    atlas.ti and code them. He autocoded names and some keywords and there the problem started.
    Because he did this while collecting new data he got really fed up and annoyed by every time he
    added 30 new short articles to autocode them. I agree with him that this is annoying. In my
    research for instance I'm autocoding interviewer and respondent utterances, every time I add a
    new interview I have to do this autocoding again. So here is my wish for the wishlist, isn't there a
    possibility to record or log previous autocodings and when a new pd is added you could select a
    button "update autocodings" and ATLAS.ti searches through these documents for the autocodes. It
    would be great when a script or syntax could be
    used for this, so when you have some new HU you could just copy and paste these scripts. Get a
    coffee and come back to see that all your autocodings have been done.
    >
    >The second critical remark he made was the problem he had importing html docs. He got really
    annoyed by three times coping information into a new pd:
    >He did not even mentioned the images on the website, but that is even harder to do (I managed
    once to get a webpage completely visible in ATLAS.ti, but can't really remember how I did it, I
    think I copied it to RTF). So while brainstorming we thought of some button in explorer, or maybe
    better firefox with which one can "print to ATLAS.ti PD". Through this function you copy the
    complete webpage including text, images, access date and address into a new pd. That shouldn't
    be to hard I imagined, but I don't know whether anyone else thinks this is a good idea or maybe
    someone already managed this.
    >
    >Greetings,
    >Gerben
    >
    >
    >
    >Drs. Gerben Moerman
    >