Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keyboard shortcut for adding code

Are there keyboard shortcuts to use, when you have a text/audio segment selected to open the dialogue box 'Select:codes'? This could immensley speed up the coding process.

Thanks,
    Tamas

I agree with Tamas. Keyboard shortcuts are essential. Other shortcuts I would appreciate are for e.g. "free quotation", "open coding", "quick coding" and "code by list".

I would put _keyboard_ shortcuts on the top of the development task list.

BR,
    -mikko-

dunno a shortcut for it, but you can drag & drop the codes.

open your code manager and put it to the side (where it doesnt bug you and your view on the text). if you leave it open and you left click a code & drag it over to a selected text segement, it codes it as well (u actually only have to drag it over into the text-window, it will automatically code the selected text only)

maybe it helps a bit - i would like to have more shortcuts too by the way

ATLAS.ti Executive
    Tams,
    after you have selected the text to code, press ALT-C then C then L.
    ALT-C open the Code menu, C jumps to the Coding sub menu and L open the requested window. Focus is then inside the list box to simply select a code using the up/down keys. Press RETURN to code the selection.
    Using the modifiier keys SHIFT and CTRL you can also do multiple code selections without touching the mouse.

- Thomas

The idea behind a keyboard shortcut is to speed up things, I'm sorry but a the need to press three keys consecutively is not really a speedy thing. It would make things a lot easier to have a specific keyboard shortcut that brings up the code window.

Workaround/solution for this problem

Although I completely agree with tdombos and honestly do not understand why such a basic feature is not implemented in Atlas.ti in the first place, there is a workaround to code ffaster with shortcuts.

There is a divine little freeware programme called "autohotkey", which can automate these processes. I have not yet written the script, but it should be really simple. This way, you can assign your own shortcut for coding any way you like.

Is there any update to this?
    I submitted a ticket recently, and received the info as Thomas mentions above, about using multiple keystrokes to get through sub-sub-sub menus a letter at a time. Problematic on a number of levels:
    1. Having to memorize an alphabet soup OR having to look at the menu repeatedly, rather than at your workspace is slow, inefficient, and potentially introduces error or double work (e.g. if the selected text gets unselected before applying or creating new codes)
    2. Contextual menus, which would eliminate some of the levels since they are 'customized' to the task currently in process, are not accessible without mousing.
    3. The program has not caught up to the current workplace awareness that mousing is extremely hazardous to personal health, productivity and company profitability. Workplaces, and other software vendors, have become much more concerned about ergonomics and accessibility. Can't Atlas.ti also reflect that?

Why not follow an approach similar to MS Word? Allow users to build their own personalized list of "commonly used actions" with assignable keystrokes, via Preferences?

AND/Or introduce a macro-ing feature that allows users to build and save their own macro of bundled steps? E.g. I have named and color coded my code-families, and created a network view for each. When I add a new code that I'd like to place within a given family, I need to go through all those steps again. It would be good to have some macro that allows me to do it on-the-fly when the code is added to the family. This could be assigned a custom shortcut, or added to a custom contextual menu.

Any chance you would at least consider some of these approaches? It seems like there have been regular requests for this over the years ("shortcut", "macro", "special-key", "keystroke"...)

Hi, is there any word on this? It seems since this thread was started there has been some progress (e.g., ctrl alt O for coding) but its still only for a select few that ALTAS seems to think we'll need. Why is there no shortcut for creating a quotation for instance?

Hi,

I have added it to the "list" - so that there will be more short-cuts included in the upcoming verison 8.

kind regards, Susanne
    Dr. Susanne Friese
    Qualitative Research & Consulting
    http://www.quarc.de

Thank you Susanne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast