Thread: Basic XML help

Basic XML help

Hi, ATLAS community.

I've been seeking better ways to ouput and display HU data. Repeatedly, my colleagues ask for better ways to output quotations linked to codes. The XML stylesheets appear to be very promising, but I can only get so far working with some of the samples provided with ATLASti. I've been able to modify existing ones, but I have no idea how to insert new data elements that I know are available.

Have others created stylesheets they'd be willing to share? Or, where can I get more help without learning XML programming?

Thanks.

anybody interested in sharing, cause Im starting to introduce myself to the xml feature as well and some more templates would be very helpful.

I am also very interested in the feature if any one has an experience or stylesheets they could share that would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Boston, MA, USA

If you are going to mess around creating and editing stylesheets I think you will need a decent XSL design tool. The simplest way to go is to edit the existing stylesheets that come with Atlas-ti. Unfortunately, while there's a lot of information about the benefits of XML on the Atlas-ti website, there isn't a lot of guidance on how to realize them. It's maybe not surprising that there aren't any substantive exchanges on the XML forum. It would be helpful if Atlas-ti developers could make some recommendations. What do they use? Are there some open source, free or cheap tools for editing/designing stylesheets? A guide or some examples would also be useful.

We're just about to start doing this so we can output XML data from another program (not QDA) and the tool we've been recommended is Altova StyleVision. There's a nice demo on their website and a thirty day trail download. You may want to check them out. The base product is $149.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the tip on Altova. I have downloaded the trial and have been playing around with the different functions. I was able to create a table that lists code and the quotes, but I can't seem to get the quotes in a table by code.

Have you or has anyone else had any luck designing with it?

Thanks,
    Crystal

Same here fernaldd! have you figured a way of solving it?

Quote Originally Posted by Taghreed View Post
    Same here fernaldd! have you figured a way of solving it?
    Did you read the other threads started by Kathrin in the Atlas-ti XML Forum? There don't appear to be many tools out there that allow you easily create XML stylesheets. The main one appears to be Altova StyleVision. There's a 30 day free trial download so it may be worth downloading it and trying it out to see what you can do with it.

There are demo videos here that show you how StyleVision works. To work with XML data from Atlas-ti you could start by following the initial instructions from Kathrin here.

Here's another tool that appears to provide support for visual stylesheet design: Stylus Studio. Video demo here.

Thanks, Alan (and Kathrin). Just happened to see your recent updates.

I just figured out a little XML trick that might help others creating XML code list a priori complete with comments and authorship. I'll post this in a little bit, when it's working well.

Quote Originally Posted by astockdale View Post
    Did you read the other threads started by Kathrin in the Atlas-ti XML Forum? There don't appear to be many tools out there that allow you easily create XML stylesheets. The main one appears to be Altova StyleVision. There's a 30 day free trial download so it may be worth downloading it and trying it out to see what you can do with it.

There are demo videos here that show you how StyleVision works. To work with XML data from Atlas-ti you could start by following the initial instructions from Kathrin here.
    Thanks for your response Astockdale,

Yes I followed the steps provided by Kathern and have been fiddling around but couldn't find a way to list quotations with the linked codes.

Any help with that?

Thanks