The new co-occurence table explorer, info on c-coefficient

Dear ATLAs.ti users,

in case you are wondering what is caculated when you click on the option c-coefficient in the new table cooccurence explorer, here is the answer:

You find a detailed description at:

http://www.miislita.com/semantics/c-index-1.html

Here the passage that explains the calcuation behind the coefficient:

Normalized Co-Occurrence

The global co-occurrence I have described is an absolute or unnormalized metric. Note that different set of queries (k1, k2, and k12) retrieve different sets of documents (n1, n2, and n12). For the purpose of comparing term co-occurrences between different queries and sets of retrieved documents, one would need to normalize these within a practical scale. Normally one would prefer to compare values running within a practical scale, for instance running from 0 to 1, such that one would be able to compare relative, normalized co-occurrence.

This normalized co-occurrence is what I define as the "Co-Occurrence Index" or C-index. In the case of pairwise co-occurrence, i.e., co-citation frequency between two and only two terms k1 and k2, the C-index is given by

Eq 1: C12-index: n12 / (n1 + n2) - n12

the results are between 0 and 1, where

* c12 = 0 when n12 = 0; i.e., k1 and k2 do not co-occur (terms are mutually exclusive).

* c12 > 0 when n12 > 0; i.e., k1 and k2 co-occur (terms are non mutually exclusive).

* c12 = 1 when n12 = n1 = n2; i.e., k1 and k2 co-occur whenever either term occurs.

kind regards,

Susanne
    Dr. Susanne Friese
    Qualitative Research & Consulting
    http://www.quarc.de

Hello

I have a related question about the new co-occurence table. I understand the index as described as above but what are the small circles in the upper right hand corner supposed to mean? Also - in your example above co-occurence is an index from 0-1. I have values well over 1. What is this telling me?

Thank you - sorry if any of these have been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find the information in any of the manuals or online discussions.

Ann

Hi again

Sorry - I just remembered a related question. In some of the cells a pop-up window appears telling me "Occ-ratio=12 exceeds limit (5)". I have no idea what this means, can anyone help me?

Thanks again

Ann

ATLAS.ti Executive
    Both issues will be explained shortly. Proimised!
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Muhr View Post
    Both issues will be explained shortly. Proimised!
    - Thomas
    Thomas,

Please include an explanation of the "Best Occurrences" feature as well. Having read through sources identified by Suzanne, I think I get it but there's nothing like having the programmer explain how they implemented the algorithm to bring it all together. I think this is particularly important if you the idea is to get wide spread usage of features in question.

ATLAS.ti Executive
    Curtis,
    just in case you subscribed to this thread. I published some details on the Cooc Table elsewhere:
    http://forum.atlasti.com/showthread.php?t=4939.
    Regarding the best pairs ranking: it simply sorts all pairs (the cooc table - like any 2-dimensional table - consists only of pairs) by their coefficient and delivers as many pairs (from best to worst) as you indicate when starting this function (currently: CTRL-key + Export to Excel button).
    - Thomas

Hi does this work when the PDs are video coding?
    Ole