Before I contact customer support, I'd thought I'd give the forum a try.
I have tried to use XML to get my analysis out of Atlas.ti (6.2), but I am having lots of problems with XML because 1. I don't understand it, and 2. I don't want to print out MY WHOLE HU, just the analysis I just did. For example, I just spent hours coding "urban village" (with subcodes etc.), and all I want is a table with that code(s) and its quotes. I don't want the whole HU, because it's not done yet.
I just want what I coded, in a format that is easy to read, and a table seems easiest. Atlas.ti does not seem to be able to do this.
So I tackled the exporting as XML route(s). Here are the results:
- I tried to customize the style sheets. When I click on customize, an Internet Explorer window opens. I can't customize.
- When I try to export the XML document I make, it goes to C:\ProgramData\Scientific Software\Atlas.ti\Common Documents\XML, but that location is unavailable in Windows Explorer, so other programs can't see it. I can tell Atlas to send it elsewhere, but then the style sheets are not available to other programs (see below).
- I installed Altova. Where is it? I installed it but I can't find how to actually start the demo program; yes, I ran through getting a demo code. There is no program icon. I have a support email to them.
- I installed two freeware programs, EditiX and Serna Free, but I cannot figure out how to make a simple table because I have no idea what I am doing, and nothing I seem to do corresponds to the Altova quotation table making process that a user posted a while back in this forum. I can't drag the "q" to where it needs to be.
- I finally installed Stylus Studio as a demo, but again, i can't figure out how to get my XML HU into the program to make a simple table.
As a student, I can't afford 1. a programmer to make me custom reports, nor 2. the Altova program (which I can't seem to run anyway and which I don't understand).
I am running windows 7 in the latest bootcamp version on my mac.
Is there a way to make nice reports in Atlas.ti for printing or filing away in Word, Excel, or as a PDF, or even HTML? I love atlas.ti for its coding, PDF functions, survey importing, flexibility, stability, but I do not understand why its reporting features are so UNfriendly and unusable. I just want a nice sheet that summarizes my coding session with the quotations I made so that I can incorporate them in the text I am writing on that subject.
I am sure I am missing something. Anyone have any ideas?