Thread: Can I use trial version to access existing bundle??

Can I use trial version to access existing bundle??

I am about to finish writing my PhD dissertation based on fieldwork notes that I have coded and analysed using Atlas.ti. Now - oh disaster!! - my laptop broke down and I had to get a new one. Fortunately I have saved all my material so nothing has been lost, except, obviously, the programs that I had downloaded on my previous laptop, including Atlas.ti. I do not expect to add more codes and quotations to my PDs, I just want to be able to access my HU and work with the existing codes. Could I use the trial version for this? It is not really clear to me whether the limitations also count for existing HUs - mine contains over 6000 quotations... (I do not officially qualify as student anymore, so if I have to buy a new version I am afraid I would have to pay the full amount of 1100 Euros...).

I hope I have made clear what my problem and question are, and that you're able to help me!

Kind regards, Janneke

Dear Janneke,

I am sorry your computer broke down. If you have made Copy Bundle back ups of your project, you can open the project in another computer, as long as you have ATLAS.ti installed. Unfortunately, since you have a lot of codes and quotations, you would not be able to work with your HU using the free trial version of the software (free trial version is limited to 50 codes and 100 quotations). If you did not back up your HU using the Copy Bundle function, but you still have the source documents available (i.e., the documents you are using in the HU), you can still access your project but it would be a little more complicated than using the Copy Bundle function. In that case, I suggest that you contact ATLAS.ti Support for assistance.
    Thank you.

Ricardo
    ATLAS.ti Training Center

Janneke,

Just a clarification from my previous post. Using the free trial version you can open and work with an HU of any size, but you cannot save it. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ricardo
    ATLAS.ti Training Center

Dear Ricardo,

Thanks for your quick reply! I did make Copy Bundles. So if I only want to look at my PDs using the trial version, and not make any changes, then I can see all my codes even though their number (far) exceeds the limitation of the trial version?

Many thanks again & kind regards, Janneke

Dear Janneke,
    I am glad that you created back up files using the Copy Bundle function. I recommend that people do that at the end of each work session and, of course, save the file in a safe location (e.g., flash drive, Dropbox). Answering your question, yes, that is right. You can see what you have done, do more things with it, but not save. I hope it works out well.

Best Regards,
    Ricardo
    ATLAS.ti Training Center

Thanks again, Ricardo! It seems to work indeed!