Thread: Line by line coding with Atlas

Line by line coding with Atlas: anyone experienced in this?

I am analyzing 20 hours of interviews for my doctoral study, using line by line coding. Of course this results in a huge number of codes. I have used the Families function to sort codes into categories: e.g.:
    'wasn't allowed in'
    'kicked me out'
    into family named "exclusion: space"
    and
    'they ignored me'
    'it's like I wasn't there'
    into family named "exclusion: passive."
    I would now like to start importing the family categories (e.g. 'exclusion: space) that I see will be significant into my code list so I can code directly from the PD. However, although I can create a new code with the same name, I would not be able to import the set of codes already assigned to this family.
    Although there are some advantages to using families in this way, there are limitations, such as not being able to do analysis with the families (which are really major codes) such as co-occurrence etc. The bottom line is, unless I'm missing something, there does not seem to be a way to use Atlas efficiently for line by line coding.
    If anyone has done this, or has ideas, PLEASE let me know.
    Many thanks.
    Sydney Weaver, PhD (candidate)
    Last edited by sydney; 2012-04-20 at 09:37 PM. Reason: clarification

Dear Sydney,
    I understand that you would like to code passages (line by line) with codes that integrate within themselves a number of other codes. To do that, create Super Codes and then a Snapshot of the super code. Super Codes allow you to combine as many codes as you want within a single code using Boolean operators. So, you can create a Super Code with all of the codes that belong to the code family "Exclusion: Space". To do that, use the OR Boolean operator. Following, create a Snapshot of that super code, and use that Snapshot code to code the text passages. For a more detailed explanation of the use of super codes and snapshots, see the full manual of ATLAS.ti, starting on page 282.
    I hope this helps.

Thanks.
    Ricardo
    ATLAS.ti Training Center

Thank you Ricardo, I will try this. Can I make the existing families super codes? I will try all of this now and let you know how it goes...many thanks! ~Sydney

Hi Ricardo - thank you so very much. I now understand how to use Atlas to do line by line coding! I did turn the families into super codes, and the codes for these families were transported into the super code. Then I made the super codes 'snapshots' and this allowed coding directly into the supercodes - the snapshot supercodes show in the 'code by list' so this is wonderful. I was then able to merge the existing line by line codes (which are basically quotations) into the appropriate supercode snapshot. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your instructions!
    Cheers
    Sydney

Hi Sydney,
    I'm happy it worked out well. Best wishes with your project.

Ricardo
    Atlas.ti training Center