Sorting code output by family

Hi, I'm a longtime Atlas ti user (using 6) and am stumped by what I hope is an easy question. I want to sort the output for any given code in order of family. In other words, I want the quotations for the code first from all the PDs in Family A, then all those in Family B, etc.

I've tried using scope in the query tool to get the output for one family at a time, which works, but is cumbersome.

My primary documents are historical, and the codes are years or yearly ranges - basically, what I'm trying to do is get the outputted quotations in chronological order. Unfortunately, the PDs were not assigned in chronological order, so the normal sorting of quotations by ID does not help.

Thanks for any ideas!

I'm not an expert and could be wrong... I'm just thinking out loud....

Can you put a Family Name and link the PD to that Family first? So Family_2010 with 1 PD assigned; Family_2011 with 2 PDs assigned.

Or can you make 1 code per year? Code the PD as a whole document for that code? Then, would it work to associate the coded quotations by Code Year?

It has been equally cumbersome to me to put PDs into date order, named by date, loaded in by date order. So I think it's a "job" no matter how you do it.

Hello NWhittier,

Let me try to help. Your assessment of the problem seems to be correct. If you need an output that would list all quotations for a given code by document family (quotations for PDFamily A first, PD family B second, and so on), you have to create an output for each document family separately. If you create a super document family using the OR Boolean operator, and then in the Query tool produce an output for a code using that super document family, the quotations will show in the report following the quotation ID order.

The other option you have is this: modify the order of documents so that they coincide with the families.

For example, let's say that you have the following:

PD 1 (PD Family A)
    PD 2 (PD Family B)
    PD 3 (PD Family A)
    PD 4 (PD Family A)
    PD 5 (PD Family B)
    PD 6 (PD Family B)

If you create an output for a code for the Super Document Family "PD Family A OR PD Family B", the output will be as follows:

Quotation 1:1 (PD family A)
    Quotation 2:1 (PD family B)
    Quotation 3:1 (PD family A)
    Quotation 4:1 (PD family A)
    Quotation 5:1 (PD family B)
    Quotation 6:1 (PD family B)

If you change the order of the documents in the PD Manager, so that it looks as follows:

PD 1 (PD Family A)
    PD 2 (PD Family A)
    PD 3 (PD Family A)

PD 4 (PD Family B)
    PD 5 (PD Family B)
    PD 6 (PD Family B)

Then, the output using the super document family "PD Family A OR PD Family B", would be like this:

Quotation 1:1 (PD family A)
    Quotation 2:1 (PD family A)
    Quotation 3:1 (PD family A)
    Quotation 4:1 (PD family B)
    Quotation 5:1 (PD family B)
    Quotation 6:1 (PD family B)

The report, however, will not include as header the name of the PD family. But since the report can be easily edited, you can easily add that as well.

Well, I hope this helps.

Ricardo

Thanks! I am glad to know that there's not some other solution I'm missing, and I'm getting efficient creating the output one family at a time. Next project, I will put the PDs in chronological order. I'm hesitant to modify the PD order now since I've outputted some codes in the current PD order - but it is good to know that's an option as well.

Nancy