classic grounded theory using atlas.ti

Hi,
    I am using atlas.ti to support a classic grounded theory approach to analysing interview data. I have started line-by-line open coding, then inserting a comment for each code with the following: "participant's main concern:X, property indicated by incident:Y, category indicated by property:Z".
    Now I am going back over my codes to rename each one according to "CATEGORY_ASPECT_DETAIL".
    I'm finding that "category indicated by property:Z" within my code comments fits naturally as "CATEGORY_" in the code rename, and that "property indicated by incident:Y" within my code comments fits naturally as "ASPECT_" in the code rename. My question is thus: in keeping with a classic grounded theory approach, for the "participant's main concern:X" within my code comments, would that fit as "_DETAIL" in the code rename, or should I be making an entirely new code ("CATEGORY_ASPECT_DETAIL") purely for participant's main concern?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lancslowe View Post
    Hi,
    I am using atlas.ti to support a classic grounded theory approach to analysing interview data. I have started line-by-line open coding, then inserting a comment for each code with the following: "participant's main concern:X, property indicated by incident:Y, category indicated by property:Z".
    Now I am going back over my codes to rename each one according to "CATEGORY_ASPECT_DETAIL".
    I'm finding that "category indicated by property:Z" within my code comments fits naturally as "CATEGORY_" in the code rename, and that "property indicated by incident:Y" within my code comments fits naturally as "ASPECT_" in the code rename. My question is thus: in keeping with a classic grounded theory approach, for the "participant's main concern:X" within my code comments, would that fit as "_DETAIL" in the code rename, or should I be making an entirely new code ("CATEGORY_ASPECT_DETAIL") purely for participant's main concern?
    Thanks!
    As other people are likely to read this as well - let me add a few things that go beyond your question. I would not start with applying "codes" for the first step, the open coding process. If you do so, this bears the danger of ending up with too many codes. Consider the quotation level instead. You can write your detailed thoughts in the quotation comment and if you want you can also rename each quotation to describe what is happening in the line or sentence you are looking at. Thus instead of working with the code manager, you open the Quotation Manager for your first steps, add free quotations, rename, write comments.

What I at times do - as we do no longer have the 1990s - is to go through the data to tag them at first before I start the detailed GT coding utilizing the quotation level. Why? I want to make my life a bit easier because we do have computers these days to facilitate analysis - the first tags just help me to quickly structure the document in order to find things again - these tags are more on the thematic level indicating the various themes covered in the interview / the document.

Consider codes in ATLAS.ti as tags - that after some work with the data can be turned into categories, sub codes and properties, etc. Once you are at that level of analysis, the "codes" in ATLAS.ti are a better fit (as compared to the open coding process - just don't get mislead by the terminology rather consider what are the task at hand and which function of the software can best help me to achieve them). Codes are meant to be more abstract and to collect more data segments at once.

To answer your question: do not lump everything into one long code name. You can keep a category with its sub codes together as CAT1_sub1 / CAT1_sub2 and son on. But different aspects need to be coded in different codes, thus apply multiple codes to a segment or overlapping segments. Why? Because this later allows you to use further analysis tools. If you lump everything into one could, you could never look at the relation between various aspects - at least not using the tools the software provides (in this case code-coccurence).

I have recently written two book chapters on this, albeit in German. I am in the process of translating these into English (or a combination of the two) and the outcome will be published as working paper by Max-Planck - so it will be free to download. I will post the link once it is online.

kind regards,

Susanne
    Dr. Susanne Friese
    Qualitative Research & Consulting
    http://www.quarc.de

Susan has shared her translation of the paper she mentions - would highly recommend reading it as soon as available.
    Friese, S. (2015). Computer-Assisted Grounded Theory Analysis. Handbuch Grounded Theory Von der Methodologie zur Forschungspraxis. C. Equit and C. Hohage. Weinheim, Beltz Juventa: 483-507.

Post paper on how to "translate" a GT approach for software supported analysis with ATLAS

please find the translated book chapter attached - it will soon be published online in the ATLAS.ti conference proceedings as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu93rhag1w...riese.pdf?dl=0

kind regards, Susanne
    Last edited by SFriese; 2016-03-28 at 10:55 AM.
    Dr. Susanne Friese
    Qualitative Research & Consulting
    http://www.quarc.de