Question Syncronising multiple data sources to one transcript?

Hi. I'm using Atlas.ti to look at classroom interaction. I watched Steve Wright's webinar on multimedia recently and he said that it is possible to synchronise a transcript to two sources, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Sometimes, when I have coded an incident on a video, I would like to link it to another video or document to show that the two aspects are related. For example, if a teacher uses a document in their teaching, I would like to link to the document. At other times, I would like to synchronise an incident on a video with the discussion of the incident (in a separate video) obtained through video-stimulated interview.

I hope I've explained it clearly enough. Can anyone direct me to a resource or explain to me how to do this?

Thank you so much.

Hi @tlas_le@rner,

Thanks for posting this enquiry here (and for attending the webinar) - sorry for the delay in replying.

This can be done - however there are some limits. You can link a transcript to two a-docs and choose which one to open however you cannot view both at the same time.

There's a somewhat technical hack and thread here - however please note Susanne's reply which gives an easier way. http://forum.atlasti.com/showthread.php?t=5813

I'm in the middle of utter chaos at the moment (substantial parts of house are a building site so it's a little disrupted) so that's delayed a proper reply. I will post something clearer and more step-by-step soon and then seek to have that included as a tutorial in the newsletter and include it in future multimedia sessions.

Please bear with I genuinely hope to get a "proper" answer by the end of the week or early next week latest.

Steve

Further testing - associating two sources

Quote Originally Posted by @tlas_le@rner View Post
    Can anyone direct me to a resource or explain to me how to do this?
    hi again,

have been testing this further - if you view the info at http://atlasti.com/wp-content/upload...nscription.pdf about how to associate a file with a transcript via the A-Docs function then you can do that a second time to associate the same transcript with a second media source.

This can be a little buggy - it tends to default to opening the first association if you switch to/from syncro mode. however it can be got to work by opening the first associated media file, then the second then closing the first one.

What you CANNOT do is view and sync the two media files associated simultaneously - you can have one of the other opened and synchronised.

Hope this helps

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevewright View Post
    hi again,

have been testing this further - if you view the info at http://atlasti.com/wp-content/upload...nscription.pdf about how to associate a file with a transcript via the A-Docs function then you can do that a second time to associate the same transcript with a second media source.
    Just to clarify, does this mean that the hack that you described in an older thread is no longer necessary?

And: has anything changed with version 8?

It would be really great if Atlas.ti finally made it easy to sync one transcript to multiple media files so that I can switch between different views on the same scene or different microphones distributed across the room. (Playing them simultaneously would also be great, of course, but from Transana I know that that introduces other issues, so easy switching would be a good compromise). For this to work properly, it would also be necessary to define different off-sets for each associated media file (because it is rare that all media files start at the exact same time).