Thread: Transcript formatting

Transcript formatting

I have prepared a number of transcripts for use in Atlas.ti using the instructions on p. 30 of the 1st edition of "Qualitative Data Analysis with Atlas.ti." In the second edition, there is a slight modification in the example for multi-paragraph answers where there are two hard returns instead of 1. Is this a change for version 7.5? Does it matter. Some transcripts have been coded using the old way and I need to know whether I need to revise them before importing into Atlas and if future transcripts need to be modified.

Thanks.

Hi, this is Susanne (author of the book). Maybe it is just the wording that is different between the two editions? I do not have a copy of the first addition at hand at the moment. It was written for version 6.

To have an empty line between speaker turns is recommend if the analyst wants to use the auto coding tool to automatically code speakers. If a speaker tells a longer story and you have broken up this story into multiple paragraphs, then the auto coding tool would only code the first paragraph and not the rest. If you were to use the option "multiple hard returns" (version 7), then everything up to the next empty line would be coded - and this would probably be wrong, including whatever the next speaker has been saying. In version 8, the multiple hard return option is called "chapter".

Here a text with 1 hard return:
    Anne: Today was a very nice day. It was sunny and I went to the park, sat in the sun, watch the kids playing, and listened to the birds singing.
    It was very relaxing. It helped to recharge my batteries, so I can devote the rest of the week to finally finish the project.
    Tom: Oh, very nice. I unfortunately had to work and was sitting in the office, trying to finish my project. But I am very tired. So I actually would have been better of taking the day off and doing what you did - enjoying the sun in the park.

If you want to use the auto coding tool to code all speaker units of Anne, you are in trouble. If you set the scope to paragraph, you will miss the second paragraph. If you use the option "multiple hard returns" or "chapter" in version 8, you will code everything what Anne and Tom said. So this is how it looks when you use 2 hard returns between speakers (or 1 empty line):

Anne: Today was a very nice day. It was sunny and I went to the park, sat in the sun, watch the kids playing, and listened to the birds singing.
    It was very relaxing. It helped to recharge my batteries, so I can devote the rest of the week to finally finish the project.

Tom: Oh, very nice. I unfortunately had to work and was sitting in the office, trying to finish my project. But I am very tired. So I actually would have been better of taking the day off and doing what you did - enjoying the sun in the park.

now ATLAS.ti can distinguish the text of the two speakers adequately.

I generally prefer to transcribe in this way (an empty line between speakers) as it is easier to read.

kind regards, Susanne
    Dr. Susanne Friese
    Qualitative Research & Consulting
    http://www.quarc.de

Thank you Susanne,
    I'm actually referring to the illustrations in the two books that are different, The instructions are all the same. In the first edition, there is a hanging indent for the speaker name and the second paragraph of a long statement is indented like this:

Anna: blah blah, then two hard returns and a tab for the second paragraph.

<tab> blah blah, talking more on the same topic.

Tom: He replies back to Anna.

In the 2nd edition, Anna's second paragraph isn't indented so it looks like this:

Anna: blah blah, then two hard returns without a tab.

blah blah talking for a long time on the same topic.

Tom: Replies back to Anna.

I wondered if this difference (using a tab to indent the second paragraph of Anna's statement) matters and if so, do I need to reformat all of my transcripts for version 7.5? I haven't switched to 8 yet.

Thank you and I love your books.

Cathy
    Last edited by Cathyb; 2017-02-09 at 10:39 PM. Reason: to format correctly

Hello Susanne,
    Looking at the book, 2nd edition, pp. 44-47 and your comments above, I suggest that the illustration on p. 45 is misleading as it indicates 2 hard returns in between the two paragraphs of Alexander's long comment. The summary on p. 47 is much clearer.
    Thank you for making me read it more carefully.
    cathy

thanks for pointing it out - there is indeed a mistake in the figure on page 45 - there should be only one hard return within the speaker unit of AL: I will fix this in the next edition.

Susanne
    Dr. Susanne Friese

Dear Cathy,

>I wondered if this difference (using a tab to indent the second paragraph of Anna's statement) matters and if so, do I need >to reformat all of my transcripts for version 7.5? I haven't switched to 8 yet.

no, you do not have to reformat your transcripts - and basically it is only relevant when you want to use the auto coding tool - which is important if you transcribe focus group data. However my suggestion is to get used to this way of transcribing data, just in case at some point you want to use the auto coding tool, even though you did not plan for it at the beginning. This way of transcribing the data leaves all options open.

>Thank you and I love your books.

Dr. Susanne Friese