Multiple different-sized quotations over same paragraph and coding

Hello everybody, I am sorry if this has been asked before, I did a few searches but could not find anything.

I am analyzing some meetings transcripts, and sometimes I have a smaller-sized quotation inside a larger one. e.g., when I try to code the lines said by each speaker, inside the coded quotation of a topic. This ends with two coded quotations of different size, with one contained in the other.

I want then to search for what did the speaker X said on topic Y. Is this possible? I tried selecting multiple codes in the quotation manager, but the result is empty. I believe the cause of it is that the two codes don't belong to the exact same quotation.

One way to solve this would be to code each of the speaker-specific quotations with the topic, but for several reasons I'd rather not do that. If there isn't any other possibility, well, I guess I won't have an option.

Thank you very much.

you need to formulate a query, or use the code-occurence table or explorer. The operator you will need is WITHIN

code: theme_x WITHIN code: speaker Y

then you get all quotations of code theme_x by speaker Y

in the Quotation Manager you only have the AND and OR operator. If you use the Windows version, you need to use the query tool for this. In the Mac version, you click on the filter icon and expand the query by clicking on the + button. There you start with the WITHIN operator and select your two codes.

In the Win version you click:

theme_x
    speaker_y
    WITHIN

if you use the code-cooccurence table, you get an overview how often theme x was mention by all speakers. If you click on a cell, you get a list of resulting quotations and from there view them in context. This is similar if you select the code-cooccurence explorer. The display is in form of a tree. You find these options under the Analysis menu in the Win version. The code-coccurence explorer is not yet implemented in the Mac version.

kind regards,

Susanne
    Dr. Susanne Friese
    Qualitative Research & Consulting
    http://www.quarc.de